School Crossing Patrol

School Crossing Patrol

Use the audio bar to play this job’s narration.


School crossing patrols or lollipop people help children and adults cross the road safely on their way to and from school.


  • Use a sign to give clear signals to drivers and pedestrians
  • Help adults and children cross the road safely


Local councils employ school crossing patrols such as Devon County Council, Plymouth City Council or Torbay Council.


Normally you work near to a school on a nearby street.

Working Hours

16-18 hours per week during term time.


Salary varies from local authority and how many hours you are employed. Average is around £9 per hour.


You would usually apply directly to vacancies advertised by local authorities. There are no set entry qualifications but good communication skills and experience of working with adults and children will be helpful. You must be able to record details of any incidents as they happen and have excellent timekeeping.

Tagged as: [Legal - Political and Government]

400 400 Devon